Until about 6 months ago, I thought that eBay was only good for selling and buying school books, or for my dad to sell his ancient digital camera or old car parts he found in the garage. One day I happened to notice that they had a clothing subsection, and from that day forward I was a hopeless addict.
Even being a frugal person, I do sometimes crave name brands and their top-of-the-line quality. Using eBay, I have successfully purchased brands from American Eagle to Ralph Lauren to Nordstrom, all for less than $15 each. Don’t believe me? I have compiled some of the best eBay deals as of today. Now I picked items that have at least 5 or 6 days left in their auctioning, so proceed with caution.
Some general rules you should follow when using eBay:
- Remember to look at the shipping price. Getting a skirt for $5 is awesome, but not when you have to pay $10 to ship it from Hong Kong.
- Consider how much time an auction has left. You might find a coat from J Crew that retails at $400 for $25, but if it still has 12 days left in the auction you can expect it to skyrocket.
- You can add items to a “watch list” which allows you to monitor an item without placing a bid. This way, you can jump in at the last minute and win the item without driving up the price for 3 days.
- Make sure to check the quality of the item, which should be listed underneath it (if it’s not, that’s a huge red flag). If the item is “preowned,” don’t expect it to look brand new. The seller is also obligated to list flaws including stains, rips, missing buttons, etc. Fully review an item before purchasing it.
- Look at the seller’s profile. Do they have good ratings? What do their other items look like?
- You can look up specific designers (e.g., Anthropologie) or simply “blouses” and select your size, check off brands you’d like to see, check off the acceptable qualities, and more. Explore your options!
Without further ado… (the pictures are links)
Anthropologie dress, size small, 6 days left, $19.98 + $5.99 shipping
Banana Republic alpaca cardigan, size medium, 6 days left, $12.00 + $6.50 shipping
Banana Republic sweater, size small, 6 days left, $14.99 + $3.65 shipping
BCBG Maxazria kimono scarf dress, size small, 6 days left, $9.99 + $5.00 shipping
Free People tank, size medium, 6 days left, $29.99 + $4.95 shipping
Lucky Brand jeans, size 6, 6 days left, $5.99 + $7.99 shipping
Lucky Brand sweater, size medium, 2 days left (eek!), $28.00 + free shipping
Now get to eBay and make momma proud!
XOXO, the Chic Cheapskate